Sunday, May 3, 2009

Calera Viognier




Calera Mt. Harlan Viognier
I've always been a huge fan of Viognier, and I always thought that it would take off more in the states. When I saw this little lovely on the shelf, I knew that I had to take it home right away. I had never heard of Calera and I thought that Mt. Harlan was another one of those Mountains around Napa, like Veeder or Howell. It was a little out of my comfort zone at $32 but I got it anyway.
Calera Wine Company is located about 140 miles SOUTH of Napa and Sonoma - closer to Santa Cruz. The winery was started by Josh Jenson back in 1975. They specialize in Pinot Noir and other Burgundy varietals (Chardonnay and Aligote). The Viognier looks like a small portion of what they produce. They have unique terroir over on Mt. Harlan because of the limstone in the soil - very similar to Burgundy. For all of you Spanish speakers, you'll know that 'calera' means limekiln... I did not! Their symbol on the label is reminiscent of the limekiln that is still on the property from 100 years earlier. Mt. Harlan is below.
The night I decided to crack open the famed bottle, I was having some problems opening the bottle... and I hadn't even been drinking yet! I finally realized that it was a glass enclosure and there wasn't a cork or a stelvin enclosure at all! That was the first glass enclosure that I've ever purchased. They are awesome!
The wine was a perfect expression of Viognier - floral, elegant, it was a little on the fuller bodied side, which I wasn't expecting. It was creamy and lush, and very very fragrant. It was a little too perfumed to drink by itself. I wish I had paired it with some spicy noodles or a chicken dish - I think I may have enjoyed it even more. It's a really beautiful wine and it's also a wine that I feel good about drinking because I know so much love and care must have gone into making that bottle.


color: pale straw

nose: elderflower, orange blossom, apricot, peach, jasmine

palate: creamy lemon, blossom, mineral, peach

price - $26-$32


No comments: