Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bordeaux Blend in Italy - Altrovino DueMani Cabernet Franc e Merlot




I wasn't just drawn to the wine because its label matches my background so perfectly. No - I am a huge Cabernet Franc lover and lover of Merlot (I'm not afraid to say it!). I also think that this importer/distributor Acid Inc. always has amazing varietal specific wines with great acidity (go figure, eh!).


This is a small producer in Tuscany produces 3 wines - one Cab. Franc/Merlot blend which we are talking about, one Cab. Franc and the third wine is Syrah. They only make about 1000 cases of the DueMani Cab. Franc/ Merlot. Their vineyard overlooks the Tuscan coastline. Maybe it's just the power of suggestion - but I thought that I could detect a salty freshness on the palate. Their highest vineyard sites are set aside for Cab. Franc, then as you go down a little lower the rows evolve into Merlot vines and then even further; Syrah. All of their grapes are certified organic and biodynamic by Demeter.


So let's get the the wine! This is technically their entry-level wine, but I didn't think that there was anything entry-level about it. First of all, it's a $35 wine - and it's a serious contender with a lot of Super Tuscans that I have tasted. I would love to try their other two wines. There is power and balance and great acidity - as I would expect from anything that Acid Inc represents. There is also a delicate balance between the fruit and the minerality and the tannin that I found really compelling. It is bright and fresh and I would like to revisit it in a few years - I'm sure that it will be even better then.


Until then, if you see this bottle, buy it! Cellar it or decant and drink with grilled meats or with the wild boar you just hunted. There are only few of these bottles out here in the US Market!


color: deep purple


nose: licorice, blackcurrant, blackberry, and spice


palate: fresh plum, more licorice and blackcurrant

No comments: