Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Yessir I Cider!! Eden Ice Cider NV Vermont

I am upfront about my sweet tooth.  I will also confess my weakness for artisinal products.  You can just imagine my delight when I found myself presenting next to Eden Vermont Ice Cider at a trade tasting recently in Massachsusetts.   This was one the the highlights of the tasting! 

I, like 80% of the other thirsty folk that stopped by the table assumed that Ice Cider is made with frozen apples (because that's how icewine is made.. from grapes that have frozen on the vine).  Eleanor of Eden patiently told me and consequently everyone else, that apples fall from the tree.  Aha!  They don't freeze ON the tree.  This liquid dessert is made from the Cider that has been frozen not from apples that have been frozen.  Aha!!  So it is as the name suggests: ICE CIDER -- frozen cider.

Eleanor and her husband Albert (French pronunciation here please) use 11 differnt varieties of apples to make just the right blend of for the Ice Cider.  The largest percentages are Empire, MacIntosh, Northern Spy (see apple above) and various other "french cider apples" as Eleanor charmingly puts it.  The thought of a "french cider apple" makes me feel all warm and tarte tatin-y inside.  This duo has worked hard at creating just the right balance for the blend.  Cider apples are broken down into several categories such as sweet, bittersweet, sharp and bittersharp.  Each have different levels of tanin and acidity.


Eleanor and Albert Leger lucky owners of Eden Ice Cider

Back to the Ice Cider... around November, when the apples are at their peak; they are picked and pressed.   They pour the precious cider into special plastic containers and leave them outside to freeze in the bracing Vermont air.  They are in the way northern tippy-top of Vermont so there's no worry of it not freezing.  Once the cider is completely frozen they bring it inside to thaw.  This is where the delicate cider trickles down and percolates through the ice - that takes about 3-4 days.  Then it is fermented using a Riesling yeast.  I thought that was really interesting!  Eleanor says that particular strain works well with the high sugar levels of the apple juice.  Interesting indeed.   Meanwhile, there is  huge carcass of ice bereft of it's cider that apparently just hangs out in the yard 'til it naturally melts.  Considering where they are in Vermont; it could be June or July!  Just kidding. I'm sure they get to wear shorts there at some point during the year!

What does it taste like?  Amazing.  So light and pure.  It really tastes good for you,  I felt like I was really doing myself a favor by drinking it!  When she told me that there are about 8lbs. of apples that go into every bottle - I felt like maybe I'd had my fiber for the day!

color: golden yellow
nose: golden delicious apples, it smells just like cider
palate: not cloyingly sweet, very delicate, pure apple, creaminess, honey and baking spices.


1 comment:

Misa said...

Dear Sommelier,
Thanks again for teaching me something new today. Your blogs are always informative and entertaining. I just visited the Eden Ice Cider website and enjoyed seeing photos of the frozen cider.