Thursday, July 15, 2010

Drinking En Rose!! Channing Daughters Merlot Rosato 2008

I always scan the Rosé section of stores.  I'm always on the look-out for something new and exciting.  This summer, I have not been disappointed.  Retailers in NYC are stepping up their Rosé sections and I appreciate it!

Poo Poo New York State wines all you want and poo-poo Merlot!  I dare you to try this Merlot Rosato and I dare you not to love it.  This is created from 100% hand-harvested Merlot that is then fermented in stainless steel tanks.  A little over 600 cases were made so if you see a bottle; grab one!  I just bought some on their website. https://www.channingdaughters.com/about.php  Buy some so I don't have to share with you!  They also make a Cabernet Sauvignon Rosato, Cabernet Franc Rosato, AND a Refosco Rosato! 

You may say, "Why Rosato and not just Rosé? What's the deal?"  Rosato is Italian for Rosé.  I know, the last time you checked Long Island's second language was not Italian.  However, the Channing Daughter's Winemaker is heavily influenced by Italian varietals and winemaking methods.  Try their Ramato Pinot Grigio - an "orange wine" made by fermeting the Pinot Grigio on their skins.

 Don't be afraid, they don't just make nerdy wine-geek wines, but Channing Daughters has been quietly pushing the envelope every since they started in the early 1980's.  From the beginning they have been experimenting with different grape varietals with the hope that they will pair the perfect grape with it's ideal terroir.  They were spot on with this Merlot Rosato!

Long Island is suited to Merlot.  This Merlot Rosato is no exception.  It has a beautiful balance of fruitiness and minerality.  It is crisp and yet medium bodied.  It has character and style, and when I served it at my house last Friday (a particularly steamy night), it was gone in about 15 minutes.

Try Channing Daughters' Wines whenever you have the chance, or go out and visit them.  They will not disappoint.


color: pale pink
nose: strawberry, red plum
palate: mineral, crisp, lively, watermelon, spiced strawberry, red plum

No comments: