Sunday, June 15, 2014

Say SI to Falanghina

Say SI to Falanghina

A Southern Italian white that you should be drinking now

This Feudi di San Gregorio Falanghina del Sannio 2012 made it's way into my refrigerator and I've been enjoying it over the last two nights.  It held up on night #2.  Brava!

411: Falanghina is an ancient white grape of Greek origin and it's grown in the volcanic soil in Naples's province of Campagnia.   Jancis Robinson says it can also be referred to as Falanghina Greco (some of you may know and love another Campanian white called Greco di Tufo).

Falanghina is a mineral driven white with lovely floral and citrus components.
I would drink these young, but I'm sure there is a case for aging Falangine (plural?) because of the acidity.  At any rate, I would say that most of the wines we get in the under $20 category should be drunk max 2 years old. 

The Feudi Falanghina  was from the 2012 vintage, and I expected to detect some age (ie oxidation or loss of fruit), however, it was still quite bright and fresh.  The color was a mellow straw, and the nose was very aromatic and fresh.  There was a hint of orange peel, Meyer lemon, and melon.  On the palate, the flavors mirrored the nose, but there was also a crisp mineral sensation which paired really well with my curried chicken and avocado salad. 


Oh, and don't be afraid of mispronouncing this if you want to order it on a wine list.  It's pronounced Fa-lan-geeee-nuh.  I was having a lovely lunch with my parents at the ever amazing A Voce in New York City, and my Dad was a little tentative in asking the server for a glass, but the wonderful waiter didn't know how to pronounce it either - and they've got great training there, so just do your best and don't worry.  Point if you have to.  Don't let it stop you from exploring a new wine.  No one's judging you and if they are... they should be put in a pneumatic press!









No comments: