Thursday, July 10, 2014

Pink Perfection - Crossbarn Rosé of Pinot Noir 2013, Sonoma Coast, California

The Crossbarn Pinot Noir Rosé is made by the good people at Paul Hobbs in Sonoma, California. Full disclosure... I work for Paul Hobbs Imports!  However, I can be fairly objective when I say that this rosé is quite delicious and one of my favorite pink drinks! And no, I don't get any commission for any bottles sold.  That being said, I advise you to visit the winery online if you are interested in trying this - it's rare to see in a wine store & they sold out at the winery before the end of last summer.  Just sayin'.  http://store.crossbarnwinery.com/shop.ams?

This rosé is made with 100% Pinot Noir grapes sourced from the Sonoma Coast.  This is a cooler climate area (think rolling fog and chilly ocean breezes) and perfect for this crisp and aromatic style of rosé. The grapes are hand-harvested (best to handle Pinot Noir as gently as possible) and then fermented in stainless steel.

The nose is just stunning -  very aromatic and evolving in the glass quite a bit.  Tons of candied orange rind (the winery tasting notes say tangerine oil - I like that description) along with wild strawberry, white cherry, and a pleasant spicy note.

I've been drinking $10 rosés for these first few days, and with a wine like the Crossbarn Rosé, the benefits of the trade up are really illuminated.  You get a crafted wine, the balance of fruit and acidity is perfect, the nose and palate are much more complex, not just one note, but multi-layered. The palate mirrors the nose, but also has a freshness and minerality that whets the appetite. Yum!  Prepare to be transported to Sonoma wine country!

The Verdict
color: deep ballet slipper pink
nose: strawberry, orange zest
palate: strawberry, watermelon, candied orange rind, minerality
price: $18
pairing: fish tacos, lobster rolls and grilled chicken caesar salad!!
One of my favorite roses. If you live near me, I'm willing to share, but you should probably buy your own!!

No comments: