Sunday, September 6, 2009

Get on the Porch!! Swig's Southern Style Lemonade Liqueur!

I was in Houston recently and I could not resist a trip to Spec's. If you have been to Spec's you know what a great place it is. If you haven't - let me tell you - they have some of the best wine prices I've seen, but more than that is the selection they have - especially in spirits and especially at this particular Spec's in downtown H-town.

I am definitely like a kid in a candy store when I step in there... who am I kidding... I still love going to candy stores as an adult! It's exciting to stop in there - there are shelves of glassware and decanters, a gourmet food section filled with all sorts of cheeses and oils and goodies. The spirits section was particularly engaging this time. There was an apple pie liqueur,mint bitters (yes I purchased some), several different flavors of Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka (now in Mint, Lemon, and Peach) a rich Chocolate liqueur from Piedmont. I wanted to buy everything. Luckily, my father was there to somewhat keep me in line informing me that the cart was filling up quickly and asking me "do you have room in your suitcase for all of that?". Of course I didn't an a lot would inevitably end up in their liquor cabinet.

One bottle that made the cut was a Swig's Southern Style Lemonade Liqueur. It's in this great glass bottle with a rubber stopper. All in all, it makes a clean fresh-looking package. It looks very olde-tyme-ey - very country time-ey. Although it really smells like limoncello, it doesn't have that neon yellow look - it is really the color of lemonade. Also, it's not a thick or cloying taste. There is a nice balance of sweet and tart that is an attribute of any good lemonade.

The label suggests enjoying it on the rocks "on a hot summer day" or mixing it with Sweet Tea vodka for a sort of Arnold Palmer. Just the fact that this product references Sweet Tea Vodka sealed the deal for me. How many people outside of South Carolina and the South in general are up on Sweet Tea Vodka (besides you my readers, because I know you read my earlier post about it).

Okay so you're dying to know what it tastes like.
color: lemonade!!!
nose: lemon, cane sugar, alcohol
palate: sugared lemon, lemon peel


I took their advice and mixed it with some Sweet Tea Vodka, then I added some Lemon-Lime Seltzer, and some Strega for a Arnold Palmieri. I think that next I will experiment by adding some Maraschino Liqueur for a sort of Pink Lemonade. The possibilities are endless - let's hope the bottle will last me into the Fall.

Check it out at http://www.swigswig.com/

No comments: