Sunday, March 22, 2009

Fruit of the Commonwealth Vine - Plymouth Winery Cranberry Wine NV






I was innocently visiting Plymouth Massachusetts and viewing the eponymous ROCK last November when my boyfriend and I happened upon Plymouth Winery in what looked like a ye olde towne village area. There was a promising looking candy store on one side (that's what initially drew us over). It was an incredibly windy and unpleasant day in MA - made even more unbearable (yes, it's possible) by the water. We took refuge in Plymouth Winery against my better judgement. Now, I am a fan of tasting the local flavor, but what good can come from Massachusetts when it comes to wine? When I saw Blueberry Wine and Cranberry Wine I silently shuddered, but then I saw the sweetest Chocolate Lab padding towards me and decided to stay awhile.

I tasted through the wines. There was an unpleasant woman who poured the wines for me. I don't remember who she was, but I was not impressed with her hospitality. Thinking back, I should have reminded myself of where I was. I tried their Mayflower Red, their Cranberry blush that I remember. They were as unpleasant as the woman's personality. What I didn't try was their award winning blueberry wine and their Diamond wine - which i discovered later is a native grape to America (vitis labrusca) and I would have been curious to sample. I'm guessing it tastes pretty grapey - like Concord grapes.

At any rate, being the consumer/brat I am, I purchased a bottle - Cranberry Wine for $9.99. I was planning on bringing it as a joke (does that sound familiar) to my Frank and Julie's house for Thanksgiving dinner. I thought it would be somewhat appropriate, that it might be okay with turkey, and that cranberries are a part of Thanksgiving anyway. Ultimately, I decided to bring wine that I would enjoy drinking. That's mean. Julie had bought a few Pinot Noirs and so I brought a few too so we could do a comparative tasting whilst gorging.

It is a somewhat blustery day today in NYC, a little reminiscent of that day in the Commonwealth - I decided to crack open said bottle. Boy am I glad I didn't bring it over to our hosts!!!

It's pretty much what you'd imagine a "fruit wine" to be - and an under $10 at that. It's drinkable. Here are my observations/notes on the Plymouth Winery's Cranberry Wine NV (note to self - stay away from NV's in still wines!!!)

color: gorgeous dark rose, fruit punch


nose: unpleasant, bitter, wet tarmac, some sweet cranberry/cherry trying to peek through


palate: off-dry, no tannin, medium acidity, cranberry fruit, tart


The nose is pretty off-putting, but the palate is okay for what it is. It's definitely not a remarkable beverage at all - and I'm assuming it's more to have a product using the local produce. The Blueberry version is probably a touch better.

Final Verdict: Pass!!

1 comment:

Misa said...

I would like to know if you think it would have gone with the turkey. Could you have dipped your turkey meat into the cranberry wine as you might with cranberry sauce (kind of like the Hampton Vodka & Lemon dip for your lobstah)?