Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sweet Tea - South Carolina Style - Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka


I first heard of this Sweet Tea Vodka when I was working in the South Carolina market last July. It had just exploded on their scene in April and it was EVERYWHERE. It was my first time visiting the Palmetto State and I was expecting to dig into some serious BBQ and sample the sweet tea while I was in town. I have a huge sweet tooth, so I was looking forward to it... the sweet tea turned out to be too sweet even for me (I was told not to admit that while in state lines).

I saw these bottles of Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka at every restaurant bar and every liquor store. When I would mention said vodka, the barkeep or wine buyer would light up exclaiming that they were moving through that even faster than GranMa (Grand Marnier -- apparently SC is one of the biggest consumers of Grand Marnier in the country). They almost always also added that is is divine with a "little touch of lemonade".

Being the brat I am, I brought home a bottle as a joke (much like the Keipersol Syrah from Texas) and thought it would be hilarious to try this Dixieland Vodka with my fellow Yankees up here in New York. AGAIN - the joke's on me! I think it's pretty good. Those SC'ers were right - it's awesome with lemonade (if you can get your hands on some up here) and I wanted to give a flavor profile of it straight up.

If you see the bottle on your local wine shelf - it's a little gaudy/tacky. It's a bit of a take on their state flag -- GO SOUTH!! There's some gold metallic outlining, a giant palmetto in the foreground, trademark crescent moon and little fireflies. It was the golden/brown liquid that made me feel somewhat dubious, but what's inside is sheer nectar!

The vodka is from grapes, at least 4 times distilled. The tea is American tea, the grapes are from South Carolina (muscadine - a native vitis labrusca) the sugar is from Louisiana.

color: cola colored, gold, brown
nose: Lipton tea, light molasses
palate: sweet, mildly viscous, Lipton tea, brown sugar

The New York Times recently did a piece about the Vodka and distillery and gave some cocktail recipes:http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/dining/11vodka.html


It's definitely better chilled. I tried it over ice and straight up. Straight up, the alcohol burn is quite apparent - over ice, I didn't notice it at all. Spring is coming as is Firefly's first anniversary (4/4/08). I raise a glass of sweet tea vodka and say their state motto, While I breathe, I hope!

http://www.fireflyvodka.com/home.cfm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want the best it's got to be DUKES Sweet Tea Vodka. The only one that's 80 Proof, 4x Distilled, All Natural and made with only Black Tea. They have 4 Flavors available, it's better tasting by far and less expensive too.
http://twitpic.com/8xryx
Oh Yeah, It's That Good!