Saturday, January 8, 2011

When it's Chilly - Pinot Noir from Chile Kingston Family Vineyards Pinot Noir 2008, Casablanca Chile

I work for a Chilean winery so I am always keen to check out what other wineries have out there in my markets. Okay, it's really just an excuse to drink more wine, but Chile has a lot of great wine to offer and usually at fantastic prices. I used to favor bigger, fruity and jammy wines (I used to work for an Australian winery) but now, I am drawn to wines that are more subtle and elegant. 

I made veal chops last night.  I opened up two wines the Stag's Leap Petite Syrah 2006 from Napa Valley, California and this Tobiano Pinot Noir 2008 from Kingston Family Vineyards, Casablanca Valley, Chile.  My boyfriend loved the big bold Petite Syrah (note that he drank a Manhattan with his chop and came to drink wine apres diner).  I thought the Tobiano Pinot Noir was better match.  I'm not saying that I'm right, I'm just saying that I'm the one who has the blog.

The Tobiano Pinot had a really great balance of delicate earthiness, spice and sour red cherry/macerated strawberry brightness.  There was good acidity, but it wasn't overpowering.  It was a perfect food wine, but it was also great to drink long after the chop was gone.  The Petite Syrah was more of a dense fudge frosted cake, whereas the Pinot Noir was a chocolate souffle... with those macerated strawberries on the side. There's nothing wrong with fudge frosted cake.  I was just in the mood for something lighter, leaner, elegant and a little more dynamic.

I support Chilean wines. It's part of what I do everyday, but it's also important to me that wine enthusiasts are open to trying wines from different regions. Some people are so shocked that Chile could produce Pinot Noir and then more shocked that it's of any quality.  They tend to think of Chile as an extension of Argentina's Mendoza.  Chile is actually more similar to California's coast than it is to Mendoza.  Chile has all of that coast line to work with, dramatic mountain ranges (the Andes AND the coastal mountian ranges), a chilly air bringing Humbolt Current, and narrow valleys.  Casablanca is one of the areas that has emerged as a region of great wine quality.  It is due west of Santiago in the center of the country and just a few miles away from the coast.  There is outstanding Pinot Noir, Syrah Chardonnay, and Sauvignon Blanc being produced here.

The Kingston Family are from Michigan originally.  They came to Chile in the early 1900's looking for copper and gold.  I don't know if they found any gold, but they have a winery now and it's still family owned.   Originally a cattle ranch, they've been growing grapes for the past 13 years in Casablanca. 
The Verdict:  pick up a Casablanca Pinot Noir from Chile.  Usually priced under 20 bucks and they are really awesome.  They are not a syrupy cherry cola Pinot Noir, they are a lean and elegant expression. 

Color:  light ruby
Nose: Spicy macerated wild strawberry, clove, forest floor, vanilla
Palate: medium bodied, sour cherry, strawberry, baking spices acidity balanced with fruit and spice.
Approximate price: $18.99

No comments: